Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Door Headboard

So after being married for 18 years I have never had a headboard until today……  While scouring Pintrest I saw this amazing idea to make a headboard from a door.  I wanted a door that was new because I wanted it to be mostly symmetrical, so I visited  Home depot and Lowes and found a door at Home Depot.  They had to order it but it cost me $44, it is lightweight and easy to move.  So I bought the door and it has sat in my garage for a few months until I had more money to splurge on the crown molding and paint.  Went to HD and got the crown molding and a board for the top of the door.  Then went to walmart and picked up the spray paint, wall patch ( I’ll explain later) and silicone and liquid nail.  Total for the other supplies about $50.

Put the flat board on top of the door and measure to the end, cut and secure with liquid nail.  I added a few nails on the top to secure it, I used panelboard nails because they go flush with the wood.  Next I measured the crown molding.  Now crown molding is a personal desire, there are many different styles to choose from, I got a piece that was 8 ft for $17.  I loved it because it had some cool textures on it.

crown moldingDSCF2600 

Put the liquid nail on the two points that will be touching the board.  I also used some nails to secure it.  I taped the pieces together until it dried.

DSCF2583DSCF2584

 

Next comes the wall patch.  If you notice at the end of each side there is a whole from the crown molding.  I took the patch and cut it so it would fit over the hole.  I used two pieces.  Follow the directions and then follow with with some spackling to finish it off sand when it is dry.  Next use the silicone and fill the edges where the crown molding meets the door and then on top where it meets the top board.

DSCF2601

Before you paint, fill in the nail holes if wanted and sand down very well. 

DSCF2587DSCF2586

After everything has had time to set ( which was the hardest part for me and of course the wind delayed my next step)

Take the board outside, lay down a plastic sheet.

DSCF2590

Next step is the fun step….spray painting

DSCF2598

I used this paint because it had a primer and paint in one and cost under $6 at walmart.

DSCF2592DSCF2593

I used 2 cans because I wanted a good coat, make sure you dust the door off from all dust before you spray.

After painting, let it dry for a few hours.

Next comes the hard step.  You need some 2X4’s to support the frame.  Because mine is a King size bed, I secured 3 pieces on the wood.  I wanted the frame about 21” off the floor, the holes to secure it are about 5 3/4 “ and 8 1/4” from the floor.  I secured the pieces on the back of the board, then secure it to the bed.  Each bed frame is different so measure and check out your own bed frame.  I haven’t secured it to the bed yet, but I put some extra 2X4’s behind it to make sure it doesn’t bang against the wall.  A great tip on getting extra wood go to HD or Lowes (I go to Lowes) and get scraps for cheap (50 cents a piece and they are about 4 ft long)

Next step is to install and sit back and enjoy your beautiful artwork, because that is what it is. 
SO after 18 years I feel so excited to have a beautiful headboard to lean against.

DSCF2596DSCF2597

No comments:

Post a Comment